Wednesday, September 2, 2009

victorious

here are some thoughts from last weeks ss class.

I asked a pretty standard/generic question: what is a Christian, what does it mean to be a christian. This wasn't even what the lesson topic was on, but it's always a good idea to get a reading on what the class is thinking/their background/where they stand. That sort of helps me navigate through texts and guide the discussion.

back to the question.

I got accurate, but incomplete responses in my opinion. Now some would say that "there's no wrong answer" and that i "shouldn't have an answer in mind when I offer up a discussion question". Still, as class went on, I became increasingly disturbed by the (insert another word for inadequate) reply from seasoned Christians. As in, only partial meaning of what it means to be a Christian.

We heard the James answer of true religion is this, care for widows and orphans,
the John answer of to love one another,
the follower of Christ answer, the Love with HSMS and neighbor as yourself answer.
All of these are true.
We didn't hear the Micah act justly love mercy, walk humbly w your God one.

But as SDA Christians, There is a better answer. We as a church have emphasized the reality of the great controversy. Or we used to. Some congregations probably still do, but apparently mine does not.

To me, being a Christian means having victory. Over Satan. Being on God's team. think basketball here, if you're on the winning team, even the benchwarmer gets a championship ring. Granted, it's more fun to play, but sometimes the coach has other plans for you. I digress

So, yes, Christians should care for widows and orphans, they should love one another, they should follow the greatest commandment and the second greatest. but how? Because of who they are. Victors.

This is only a small small portion of what we talked about, and if I do compile the discussion into 1-3 sermon type talks they will be focused, and interesting.

To some this concept is "duh" very very basic. Well, yes. But to follow the scriptural referances for it is exciting and motivating at the same time. At least that's what class members said. And the Holy Spirit was very active, and apparently we were receptive last week. Amen.

this topic has been preached upon ad naseum. usually with the line "an apple tree doesn't make apples to make it an apple tree. It bears apples b/c it is an apple tree" or some such configuration of those words, making more or less sense depending on whether or not English is your first language.

i have the old hymn (is there a such thing as a new hymn?) "faith is the victory" playing in my head now.

So, i don't look like a preacher. or even a tentmaker. I probably look most like a fisherman, than any other biblical profession. I wouldn't be noticed or singled out as a Christian in the grocery store. But I am sure God used me with last Sabbaths discussion. It all clicked. The Holy Spirit brought to my memory multiple verses/texts that were relevant and people after class even told me this was exactly what they needed to hear.

If it's something other people need to hear, in the way it was outlined last Sabbath, then the Holy Spirit can remind me again of those verses, and this time, encourage me to write it down better.

No comments:

Post a Comment